Transferring Vehicle from One State to Another – NOC Process

Option 1

If you purchase a vehicle in State A , India and if you decide to move to State B, India, get a No Object Certificate (a.k.a NOC) from the concerned Regional Transport Office (RTO) of your vehicle registration.

Option 2

If you think that NOC is such a bureaucratic process and a lot of hassle, sell your vehicle in State A before moving to State B.

NOTE: Use Option 1 only if you believe that you are sentimentally attached to your vehicle.

The process of re-registration of out of state vehicles is so cumbersome that any vehicle owner in India will just loathe the archaic Motor Vehicles Act (MVA) rules and the opaque nature of RTO operation. This is Indian Bureaucracy at its best and it flexes itself admirably to money power.

I will highlight the process of applying for NOC in the city of Hyderabad for moving your vehicle over to Chennai.

Application of NOC in Hyderabad

(A) Obtain police clearance certificate.

  1. If your vehicle belongs to a registration OTHER than Ranga Reddy district, you can apply for police clearance certificate at the Traffic Control Room – Computer Section, nearby the Lal Bahadur Sastri Stadium, Nampally, Hyderabad. It is an instant procedure. The computer section folks should generate a no-pending traffic penalty dues certificate in a matter of an hour or so. If you have pending challan payments, then you have to pay the challans in order to obtain the certificate. After obtaining the certificate, apply for no criminal records on the vehicle with the detective department at the same Traffic Control Room. This is ONLY applicable if your registration is OTHER than that of Ranga Reddy district. This crime record service costs Rs 100 at the time of writing. Refer Link
  2. If your vehicle is registered under Ranga Reddy district, then you may approach any one of the eSeva centers in Hyderabad and apply for Police Clearance Certificate (PCC). This service costs Rs 200 (for motorcycle) at the time of writing. The eSeva center then couriers your request to the Cyberabad Police Commissionerate Office at Gawchibowli, Greater Hyderabad. You can also request to take the application in hand and approach the Commissionerate Office in person. Try your luck. Anything is possible in India (you know what I mean). This helps in saving some time as the normal processing time takes about a week or two to get PCC from an application forwarded from eSeva Center. So, your processing time is more if your vehicle is registered under Ranga Reddy district. Please follow up with the Police Commissionerate on your application – after a week. Refer this link to figure out the Police Station under Greater Hyderabad.

For the above mentioned procedures, you should submit a copy of your registration certificate as well as a copy of identify (Driver’s License, Passport, Voter ID or PAN card).

(B) After obtaining a clearance from the Police Department, i.e. no-pending-dues from Traffic Police as well as no-crime records from Detective Department, you can now apply for NOC with the concerned RTO. Form 28 should be completed in triplicate (if the vehicle is NOT under hypothecation) or in quadruplicate (if under hypothecation). After submitting the necessary fees, the RTO will process your request in a day or two.

The whole process should be over within three days (best case) to two weeks (worst case) time. If the power of money is applied, the processing time-line gets flexible.

Re-registration of vehicle at Chennai

Now that you have crossed half the challenge, after obtaining the NOC from Hyderabad, you may apply for re-registration with the RTO under your local jurisdiction. The following documents are considered necessary by the RTO – at the time of writing:

(1) Form 33 with prescribe fee of Rs 20. *

(2) Form 29 and Form 30 – for transfer of ownership. This applies if your are re-registering the vehicle in someone else name. *

(3) Form 20 with chassis # being attached as a pencil print along with a photo of the owner. Applicable fees extra.

(4) NOC issued by the original registering authority (the NOC that you obtained from concerned RTO in Hyderabad). Should be signed duplicate copies.

(5) Life Time Tax to be paid (depends on the category of your vehicle)

(6) Address Proof copy

(7) Insurance Certificate

(8) Pollution control Certificate

(9) Police clearance should be obtained from National Crimes Record Bureau (NCRB), Chennai – 106 or District Crimes Record Bureau (DCRB), Egmore Office.

(10) Entry tax for the vehicle (if applicable)

(11) If Registration Certificate is invalid, then Form 25 should be completed

(12) Original Registration Certificate

(13) Chassis # pencil prints (4 Nos.), Passport size photos (6 Nos.), Court Fee Stamp of Rs 2.

(14) Financier Authorization letter (if applicable)

(15) Signed Affidavit in front of Judicial Magistrate/Notary Public on a Rs 20 non-judicial paper with a photo of the applicant explaining the nature of work of the individual.

(16) Rs 30 postal stamp affixed letters (2 Nos.) One for the applicant and the other for the original RTO of registration.

* For belated applications, penalty of Rs 100 applies.

Phew! The Bureaucrats have intentionally made it tougher to re-register out of state vehicles. What a torrid time to be a vehicle owner!

What I find as more stupid is the application for PCC at the Original State as well as at the transferred State. Why can’t the RTO link up with the NCRB and verify the vehicles for themselves; with access to centralized repository? This is something that can be achieved with will-power and help improve the efficiency of the whole process. What a shame! Moreover certain provisions of the MVA are not applied in spirit by the concerned officials at RTO. There are provisions in MVA to apply for NOC by registered Post and declare it in an Affidavit – in the absence of NOC from the original RTO. They just prefer to act like rubber stamps and do NOT want to interpret the MVA rules.

We badly need a Transport Secretary that is willing to go the extra mile of overhauling the archaic system!

UPDATE: For vehicle re-registration in Tamil Nadu, it is NOT the duty of the Applicant to obtain local PCC from the State Crimes Record Bureau (SCRB) or District Crimes Record Bureau (DCRB). The concerned RTO (where the Applicant makes a re-registration application) should actually intimate and obtain PCC from the SCRB or DCRB.

Added 20th May 2012More info about re-registering the vehicle in your current State.

102 thoughts on “Transferring Vehicle from One State to Another – NOC Process

  1. S Pattnaik

    No doubt I believe now why my friends preferred to flee India; to work in US or somewhere else.
    The British Raj is stillhere.

    1. pawan

      So if a problem exists in our family, instead of fixing it should we abandon the family itself ?
      British Raj exists because the leaders know that no one will oppose, instead they will either become habitual of it or will leave the country.

      just give a thought, no hard feelings :).

  2. s ravi

    good, but i want to transfer my vehicle from lukhnow(UP) to nagpur (MH), Kindly update the same.
    Thank you.

  3. naresh

    I got NOC for my bike from kochi to hyderabad, can I still drive the bike in kochi for some time? is there valid period to move the vehicle from kochi to hyd?

  4. santosh

    I got NOC certificate for my car from hyd to bangalore. Again im Shifting to Bangalore to Hyderabad.. Do i need to again get a NOC certificate from bangalore to hyderabad.

  5. rahul

    Hey guys..
    Agreed that MVA rules are archaic but we have to live with it.It really
    Does help if you know the laws and just walk around the rto building a couple
    Of times. Actually I write from experience. A month ago i got transferred to Kolkata
    From Chennai. My swift vxi, 2007 model had a TN number.
    Since I was relocating for good to my hometown I did the following:
    1. Asked an agent in Chennai and he said it takes a couple of months and about 7k to get this done
    2. I walked into the rto at anna nagar and asked politely to the rto officer the procedures
    3. Went to Chindadripet police station applied for police clearance certificate with a 20re fee.
    4. Got it the next day and went to rto submitted copy of insurance,puc, 1 photo, original rc, a duly filled up
    form28 in 3 sets with pencil mark of chasis num and paid 60 bucks for an affidavit on a 20 bucks
    Stamp paper to the notary(u will get all of this at the xerox shop behind d rto)
    5. Paid Rs55 as rto processing fees and submitted all of it and collected a challan.
    6. Went after 7days and my noc was in place..yeppie!!
    Total cost is 153 bucks including xerox, notary, stamp duty and everything.
    Its not a difficult as every one is sounding it to be.
    Cops however caught me in kol last week had an arguement and told them boss all papers
    Are in place and I know my laws my police certificate and noc is valid for 3months. I will get my car
    Reregistered here next month so don’t trouble me and showed them the MVA rule book.
    They were stunned and had to leave me.
    Will update all of you shortly about the next leg on the re registration part in kolkata. Just
    Waiting for the salary part bro so that I have money for paying the tax :)
    P.S.: don’t forget to take a xerox copy of the police certificate you will require
    It to reregister your vehicle at the new location along with address proof and form 335uly filled up..
    Till my next update..cia..and happy driving..btw someone said about fleeing off to
    USA..bro that’s not how I would want my India to be built..wt say??
    And getting a visa is more problamatic than this..again personal experience..
    Keep rocking and drive safe..wear your seat belts..also sometimes
    Drive like you stole it..wink wink..

    1. Vaibhav

      Rahul very well said…just because of these reasons we can’t leave our motherland..problems would always be there but running away from them is not a solution….and Well done in obtaining NOC..People these days just dnt want to go to any Govt. Office, want to sit at home and crib or complain about system..

    2. raja

      hi Rahul,

      i m bringing my two wheeler from chennai to kolkata. I ve got a no objection certifcate and from Chennai RTO. Where should i register in kolkata? i m staying in new town area and i m going to shift my house shortly to south calcutta. Should the name of the RTO be mentioned in NOC from chennai??

      1. Rubberstamp Post author


        If you got a NOC (Form 28) without specifying the destination RTO, then I would deem you lucky.

        If you specified the destination RTO in Form 28 and got it approved, then you might need to get the vehicle registered ONLY in the specified RTO. I am not sure about MVA rules that allow non-specification of destination RTO.

        In any case, if you know the destination RTO (or would like to amend an earlier specified RTO in Form 28), you should be able to submit a request at the source RTO for such a change (better before you leave the source State).

    3. Sudipta Paul

      Hi Rahul,

      I am also planning 2 move my Swift DZire 2012 model to Kolkata. Can you tell me hassels in re-registering in Kolkata like
      after paying the tax there does RTO adjust tax you paid in Chennai, and do you need to change the registration number. Is there any option to keep the TN or KA numberplate and what is the viable option to get your already paid tax in TN.

      Thanks in Advance

    4. kumar

      for bike it is 350 and for car it is 650 this is the amount they charge for NOC. I had taken that for my bike
      from hyd to bangalore

  6. Pradeep

    Point no 5 in the re-registration process – (5) Life Time Tax to be paid (depends on the category of your vehicle)– does this mean that the tax should already have been paid at the hyderabad rto or does it mean that we will have to pay the life tax again at chennai rto ?

    Thanks !

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      As far as I know, Life time tax has to be recalculated in the new State. Your payment pertains to AP. You can make an RTI application with the Public Information Officer at Chennai Secratariat (Chennai – 9), and get information with regards to life time tax payment. Make sure you address it to the Public Information Officer (PIO) with attention to Transportation department.

      The transportation department (administrative purpose) governs the State RTOs.

  7. Nikhil

    Hello, Please give me the address of CHENNAI NCRB / DCRB from where the vehicle PCC is to be obtained.
    If you can provide directions / landmarks to reach there, it will be helpful.

  8. Gautam Kumar


    I have brought my bike from my hometown(Chickmagalur,KARNATAKA)to Chennai and i have got all the Documents from RTO Chickmagalur(NOC), which are needed, My concern is Can i ride my bike without going to RTO office by holding all these Docs with me or is it must that i should go and submit the NOC?? Can anyone help me on the this..?

    1. Rubberstamp Post author

      Your motorcycle has to be inspected by the Vehicle Inspector at the concerned Chennai RTO. So, it makes sense to drive your motorcycle to the RTO along with the set of documents for re-registration.

  9. Viraj

    Hi Folks,
    I transferred my bike from Surat(GJ) to Pune(MH) last week, without doing anything. I’ll be staying in PUNE for atmax 5-6 months.

    1. Do I need to initiate and complete Re-Registration procedures?
    2. If YES, can I get NOC from GUJARAT once my bike already transported to PUNE? How?

    Seeking best guidance for my concerns as I believe, “EACH LOCK HAS A KEY..!”


  10. B N Anand Kumar

    i want to by Maruti 800 from my friend, actually he baught that vehicle from delhi to hyderabad, now i am intrested on that car, so that what is the procedure to change the ownership and permit to run the car in AP,

    please advise,

    thank you
    B N Anand Kumar

    1. Rubberstamp Post author

      You can refer to .

      Did your friend obtain NoC while transferring his/her car from Delhi to Hyderabad? Check out the info with the concerned folks.

  11. Sohan

    Hey Guys…Find out my way out to get registered my Delhi Registered Car in Bangalore

    1-: If you are moving out from your state where your vehicle is registered, try to get the NOC from RTO.Its better to get a Broker paying 2-3K for this or else it will eat your 3-4 days and skipping 3-4 from office will cost you more.

    2-: If you are going for a short period of time (<1year) to a different state then please dont opt for NOC, reason is if you will obtaion the NOC from your RTO then after 3 months the registration of your vehicle will be cancelled, so when you will come back to your state you have to reregister your vehicle.

    3-: If you are going for 1-2 years to a different state then you need to pay the road tax in the new state, now let me explain the difference of having NOC and Not having NOC….

    Any how you have to pay the road tax in both the cases, but if you have the NOC then you can opt for the change of Address, where you will get a new RC with the OLD NUMBER but with the new address of the different state,and after 90 days you can opt for the NEW NUMBER with very less amount. In case you dont have the NOC then you can't opt for change of address and will carry your existing RC with the Road tax Challan, that too eligible for only a year.

    Adding to this …just to let you know guys ..dont waste your time going personally to any RTOs, its just next to impossible, hire a broker and let him do all the stuffs….max 4-5 K will go as broker charge.

    Hope my experience will help you guys…….

    1. Prakash Anand


      You mean to say that if I want to take my bike for one year I do not need to take NOC from my home town. Please guide me more. Here is my case;

      I am a resident of Jamshedpur, Jharkhand and I am working in Chennai and want to take my bike to Chennai. I believe that I will not be staying here for more than a year, in taht case I donot want to do the regitration of my bike in Tamil Nadu. So my main concern is that how shuld I go with?

      Folks – please let me know if you have any solution?

      Is there realy any legal ways to ride the bike withoput the tension of bing held by any cops?

      1. Rubberstamp Post author


        Check out temporary registration or payment of road (usage) tax in the State. Based on what you have mentioned, I think it makes more sense to go for road tax payment or even temporary registration (in the worst case). There should be some flexibility with MVA rules regarding this.

        If you have the required papers, i think you should be fine! If you have lingual trouble, then have a local friend who can help you out. Drive without the psychological fear as you are a Citizen of the country and you have every right!

  12. Amit

    oh gosh!!!i was thnking of transfering my TN no 2 JH no..TN is ok bt if i apply 4 JH here..our RTO wud take a yr..!!

  13. kuldip singh

    my bike no is MH01AJ3227.I bought it from mumbai. I got transferred to tarn taran RTO but the staff said that the online registeration has not been done. They said that the online registeration will be done on october 2012. But the date of my vehicle is of april 2012. Now what i suppose to do?
    kuldip singh

  14. Apoorv

    Hi, I am currently staying in Chennai. I bought a Nissan Micra in Jan 2012(TN reg.)
    I’ll be getting a transfer to Pune by August end.
    I know the process of obtaining an NOC from Chennai.

    The problems will start when I reach Pune.
    Can some one please guide me on the below :

    1. Till what time will the N.O.C. be valid ?

    2. Do I have to re-register the vehicle with MH number once the NOC expires? Is there no other alternative? -Something like paying the yearly road tax.
    I read somewhere that it’s only 1K/year (but I sincerely don’t believe that).

    3. If there’s NO WAY OUT, what will the lifetime tax amount to or, what will the re- registration amount to?
    – I heard that it’s 7% of the invoice. My car cost me around 5.4L ex-showroom.
    Do i have to pay 7% of that amount… :( :(

    4. I love my car and I don’t intend to sell it.
    Can someone from Pune please guide me on how to escape this scenario.
    I will be probably staying in Hinjewadi/Wakad area.
    Is there a routine checking for other state cars in that area?
    Someone please guide me, I really need some tips.

  15. Roshan

    I am shifting from Gurgaon to Bangalore. I need to take my Car – Chevrolet Spark which I bought last year. I won’t be in Bangalore for more than 1 year. Do I need to obtain an NOC ?
    Can I just take the car, drive for some months and the come back. Or Do I need to pay road tax in Bangalore ?
    Pls suggest.

  16. Saagar

    Hi…I have a ford figo 2010 model…It is registered in Mumbai and I would like to drive it in Hyderabad for less than a year..I need to understand how I can go about with the registration/documentation procedure..Would be obliged if some1 can advise along with approximate cost involved..

  17. Shivam


    I want to transfer my bike from Lucknow to Chennai.I got all relevant docs pertaining to it(NOC etc) now do i need to go to RTO to get a new no or NOC is enough to ride it in Chennai.Plz help.

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      NOC (Form 28) is required from the origin State to re-register the same vehicle in your destination State. You would have specified the destination RTO on your Form 28 and this is the RTO that should be used when you move from your origin State. The whole process is made cumbersome by bureaucracy banking on archaic MVA rules and no will power taken by respective Department of Transportation to make it a more transparent process.

      Refer to the TN Government RTO Citizen’s Charter page:

      That should offer you required information. Although the RTO might request for some additional (read: ridiculous) set of documents in addition to what is stated in the RTO manual. Usage of Right to Information (RTI) is a powerful tool to the common man. I will state the procedure to file RTI in another post but you should use RTI only when all your attempts to obtain necessary information have been futile.

  18. Amare

    Thanks Rubberstamp for starting this thread. It has a lot of info. and based on this I think I will want to leave my vehicle behind.

  19. Ishwar

    I have buy a Maruti 800 ( HR05-L9330) & applied for transfer of ownership in my name at RTO office Jhalawar Rajasthan in the month of January with all required documents as per RTO office but till date I have not received my RC. while we contact to RTO They are saying that your attested letter from HR05 RTO Karnal is not received till date. please adice me for further processing

  20. Vinoth Kumar T


    I got my form 28 from Bangalore to move my two wheeler to chennai on december 2009… i got cheated by a broker. i gave my book to him on december 2009 with all the documents including police clearance certificate. After two and half years he did nothing and gave the RC book back… can you please help me in this case. can the form 28 which i got in december 2009 is still valid.. can i go directly with that to RTO office to get NOC… Please help me what i have to do to get NOC…

  21. Soumik Ganguly

    Hello friends.
    I recently got transferred from Ahmedabad to kolkata.
    I have Bajaj Pulsar 150cc bike purchased on 2008.
    I got my NOC n other necessary documents from Ahmedabad RTO, but the thing is when I approached a broker here to get my registration done, he said my bike has Euro 2 engine whose registration is not done in kolkata n that I have to take permission by writing to the secretory at Writers building. So ridiculous!!! Am much puzzled as to what to do or what an Euro 2 engine is??

    Pls help with ur valuable opinion.

  22. Abhinav


    I need advice on re-registering a vehicle purchased from another state.

    I am planning to purchase a DL registered car and use it in Hyderabad.
    What all documents do I require from the seller and how do I go about registering it in Hyd and transferring ownership to my name?

  23. R Viswakumar

    But what is the need of obtaining NOC when u are moving from one state to another within India? If u dont obtain NOC what will happen?

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      That is a great question. I would assume the same. Unfortunately, we are controlled by a Bureaucracy that is hell bent on charging us with archaic rules and also not speeding up their processes. I would ask why require an NoC when moving within one country governed by a Constitution? Why cannot road tax be centralized as the Centre can later on divide and handover the share of the State where the registration took place…

      To prevent auto thefts and being sold in a different State, a centralized repository (database) can exists that keeps in sync with the Police department about the current status of the vehicle and any FIR against it. It is not difficult at is just difficult to get all these departments to get in to a coordinated action and more importantly we need a Central Transportation minister that is visionary and also State Governments to set aside their regionalism.

      Will this happen?


    hi i purchased a 2nd hand car form West Bengal.m presently residing at Assam.i applied for n.o.c. but it has not been coming yet.m in problem to drive my car in any where without n.o.c..suggest how can i change my registration without n.o.c.,and plz suggest is there any procedure if n.o.c. taking more time to come and i can apply with my n.o.c. applying receipt for my re-registration..!

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      Hope this helps. I had a similar question.

      Form 28 (“No Objection Certificate”) is usually required to re-register an out-of-state vehicle – as per the Motor Vehicle Authority (MVA) regulation in India. Ironically, “Intimation of Transfer of Ownership of Vehicle” (Form 30) states that in the absence of Form 28, a declaration by the Transferor (person selling the vehicle) as per subsection (1) of section (50) is deemed acceptable.

      I wonder what is the declaration format of subsection(1) of section (50). Since, the Officials at RTO are reluctant (as always) in divulging the *right* information, an RTI is mandated. Are you willing to hire a lawyer or even consult a lawyer (family) friend? I personally hate the abstraction of information that is diligently followed by some RTO employees.

  25. Shivrajnagesh.

    Procedure to transfer registration to chennai of a company provided car registered in the name of the company at mumbai.The car will be in the company’s name even at chennai.

  26. angry

    NEED Your help guys

    I Got transfered from bangalore to delhi.
    I took noc(form 28)from bangalore on 14 may.

    And till now I do not paid Road tax in delhi.
    Today i went to road tax office and they are asking 5k as penalty.

    my bike price is 76000.
    so i have to pay 8% it as road tax + 5000(Penalty)+ brokrage = 15000(total). :(

    Feeeling Bad.
    What should in do.
    Please suggest.
    pay 15000 or there any other way out.

    1. Coolgutz

      Dear Angry,

      Delhi is the National Capital Region (including Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida, Ghaziabad). Any state’s vehicle can be drive at Delhi with out any additional documents. The rider is, You need to carry all your original documents including RC, License, insurance and Pollution Control certificate. So people who are moving to delhi need not to worry. “Cheers” :)

  27. Rajesh

    Hi, I am in a different situation now. Two years back, I wanted to take my bike ( registered at trivandrum) from Trivandrum to Chennai, got all NOC-related things, but could not take my bike, but I was in Chennai for the past 2 years. Now, I am back in Trivandrum. Any idea what could be the procedure without doing a re-registration in Chennai so that I could live happily with my bike with the same registration number et al.

  28. Putcha

    I followed the procedure mentioned in this site to get my NOC (Hyd to Blore). I am not sure if someone added, all photo copied (of RC, ID proof) must be attested by a gazetted officer.
    Thought will be handy to a newbie.

    Thanks for starting this thread, has very useful information and hyperlinks provided were really handy.

  29. mouli

    If you are moving your vehicle from your home state to another state, we need not to re-register in the non- home state. There is a rule in MV Act that if your current staying state is not your home state and your permanent state addresses is the same as your vehicle registered state(you need to prove your permanent residency) Police has no right to ask for re-registration. Recently when I enquired in Chennai based PS, the Inspector said, its enough if we have NOC from Traffic police and Criminal clearence from the state where the vehicle was registered.

  30. joseph

    What we need are simple procedures, so that people will come forward to get their vehicles transferred from one state to another. For this to happen there should be some official at the highest level who will bring in some sanity to the whole procedure.

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      Why can’t our transportation ministry convene a meeting with the Administrative officials (IAS/Bureaucrats) and work a simple plan to keep the Motor Vehicles registered in India in a commonly accessible database? All they have to do is hire the IT brains in India and work on a plan about all the current handicaps and how to overcome them. It just needs spirit! When we are help bent on suppressing free and individuals views through electronic media, i think we are hitting the reverse gear in India in all sorts! Such is the pathetic state of Indian Democracy now!

  31. AK

    Sorry too many comments to read, so i could’nt.
    My experience, transferred my Maruti A-Star from Mysore to Lucknow, and the costs were
    RTO Charges @ Mysore 3,500 (including Broker Fees)
    RTO charges @ Lucknow 5,500 (including Broker Fees)
    Road Tax @Lucknow 32,500
    Visits @ Mysore 3 times other 4 vists were made by my friend because i was in Lucknow by then.
    Visits @ Lucknow 9 times
    Total time in all processing ….about 6 months.
    At last i felt like an Asshole bringing this vehcle here.
    I brought it because i loved it, but now i almost hate it.

  32. AK

    and yeah i forgot, Broker charges were unavoidable,
    bcoz one needs to do PHd in Motor Vehicles Act for avoiding them,
    so i choose broker instead of PHd.

  33. Veera

    HI All,

    I bought my bike from Nellore AP to bangalore. I just want to under stand how much it cost for NOC in bangalore?

    Can any one suggest me………plsssss

  34. Salil

    Hi, I have a question here. Suppose I took the NOC from State A for 1year period and moved my vehicle to State B.
    However why do I have to do a reregistration in State B? I have seen that the police in Chennai only ask for the NOC certificate from State A. If I stayed in State B for 1 yr and then moving back to State A after the NOC expires, do I need to re-register my vehicle in State A? Or do I need to follow the same process again to transfer my vehicle from State B back to State A? Please suggest.

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      Great question…to be honest, can you go through the set of registration related queries on TN Govt website?

      Talk to a higher level RTO officer (meaning: least corrupt) and the district crimes record bureau officer (surprisingly, many are efficient to your queries). I would say, visit your RTO with a clear cut grievance in mind and express the same to the Officer. Hopefully, you’ll get an answer.


  35. Praveen

    Hello to all
    i purchase a bike from gautam budh nagar (up-16) and i live in ghaziabad (up-14), so how can i get ownership of this bike. is there any requirement of NOC. how much fee will i have to be paid

    1. Rubberstamp Post author

      I wouldn’t have an answer for your question. Can you go through the list of registration related procedure for your State? Usually they are a uniform set of procedures followed across State. Or better talk to some senior RTO official. They might help you out.

    2. Coolgutz

      Dear Praveen,

      In National Capital Region (including Delhi, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida, Ghaziabad) any state’s vehicle can be drive with out any additional documents. The rider is, You need to carry all your original documents including RC, License, insurance and Pollution Control certificate. As UP 16 (Noida) and UP 14 (Ghaziabad) are same state and adjacent part of district and NCR Status, you will never find any problem. Enjoy your drive!! :)

  36. ashish


    I bought a bike 1 year ago in Bangalore. Now I want to transfer my bike to bhubaneshwar(Orissa ) permanently .

    What are procedure to get the NOC from RTO.

    Whether NOC is mandatory document needed to submit for new registration.

    Even i paid the lifetime road tax , is it not sufficient to run a bike.

    a. I will go directly to RTO office for NOC, approx how much money i have to spend for this.

    b. If i will go for broker, how much i have to pay them .

    Please anyone suggest me.

    Thanks in Advance


    1. Rubberstamp Post author

      @Ashish, Take some time to read the post or the related post. NOC (Form 28) is required as per procedure. Before you move out of Bangalore, get it from the registered RTO. You might need to get Police Clearance Certificate and attach that with your Form 28 request. Please follow the guidelines as per KA norms.

  37. spsoft14

    Suppose I have just paid road tax to ride bike for one year with other state registration. What should be do if I have to stay after one year.

  38. skadam86

    HI Fellas,

    In the month of april i am going to take my bike from
    Maharashtra to Chhattisgarh for a period of 1 to 1.5 year

    Q.1) what should i do?
    as i read before that more than a year i need NOC and new registration and need to pay road tax.
    but it will be little more than 1 year. and I am sure that i will come to maharashtra again after little more than 1 year.

    can i ride my bike like that only. i have all the documents ready like RC book, Insurance, PUC.

    what are the charges for road tax in chhattisgarh.?

    or should i send my bike before 1 year to maharashtra again so that i dont have to do all these time wasting things.

    do reply fellas!!!

    m in need of information!!!

  39. Vinod

    I have brought my two wheeler from the state of Karnataka and in the process of registering it in the state of Kerala.

    Following is the process I have followed to register my vehicle in one of the RTO office in Kerala.

    Documents required before visiting RTO
    1) Form No. 33 duly filled and signed
    2) Form No. 27 duly filled and signed
    3) Form no. 28 ,i.e. NOC issued by the original registering authority (NOC obtained from the state of origin). Should be signed in duplicate copies.
    4) Address Proof copy attested by Gazetted officer
    5) Original RC book
    6) Insurance Certificate
    7) Pollution control certificate
    8) Visit National Crimes Record Bureau website and get a printout stating that vehicle is not stolen. Go to the website and click on vehicle inquiry link. Rest of the steps are self-explanatory
    9) Attest your two photos by a gazetted officer
    10) Signed Affidavit in front of Judicial Magistrate/Notary Public on a Rs 100 non-judicial paper with a photo of the applicant explaining the nature of work of the individual.
    11) Statement of documents submitted which is to be notarized by a notary affixing adhesive stamp of ₹ 50
    12) Vehicle purchase invoice

    Steps followed

    1. Got it verified by joint RTO and he will put a seal stating “Accept fees and tax, inspect the vehicle”
    2. Go to the fees counter and show the documents and pay the fees and tax. Get the receipt for fees and tax paid
    3. Now get the vehicle physically verified by the motor vehicle inspector. He will check the engine number and chassis number of the vehicle and will give a certificate stating that he has done so. It will be usually in writing and signed and sealed by him
    4. Submit all these documents and get an acknowledgement slip.
    5. Now wait for the correspondence from the department which will be sent by post to your registered address.

    Problems faced;

    1. PRO will not say all the documents and formalities at the first stage. Photo attestation and address proof attestation is requested by joint RTO. So I had to come back next with those attested copy next day. In the fees counter they said original invoice is required. Luckily I had a copy of the same and submitted it.

  40. Vinod

    Format of affidavit and statement mentioned in serial number 10 and 11

    Affidavit filed by <Your name? wife of /son of/daughter of , before the registering authority under section 47 of Motor Vehicles Act 1988.

    I have brought a motor cycle bearing registration number with chassis number and Engine number . The vehicle is originally registered with Regional Transport Office, Indiranagar, Bangalore (East) in my own name in the and brought to this state on 4th januaryy 2013 and thereby producing the vehicle to Road Transport
    Office for inspection.

  41. Vinod

    Following documents also provided;
    1. Application for assignment of new registration mark to a motor vehicle in Form 27 duly filled and signed.
    2. No Objection Certificate in Form 28 with pencil print of chassis number affixed there in issued from registering authority
    3. Valid certificate of registration
    4. Valid certificate of insurance
    5. Pollution under control certificate
    6. Copy of PAN card
    7. Proof of Residence
    8. <<>
    I hereby solemnly affirm and declare that I am the legal owner of the vehicle and its above documents and vehicle are genuine.
    I hereby declare that there are no departmental or any other action pending against this vehicle and the vehicle is not involved in any theft or superandi case.
    I unconditionally hereby undertake that I will be responsible and bound clear any dues or any other actions regarding theft or forged documents if found later on and to suffer any action taken against me relating to this vehicle even prior to the date of removal to this state.
    To the best of my knowledge and belief, I have not suppressed any facts or information. All facts, information and details furnished above and in the form and documents produced are true and genuine and also undertake to hold myself responsible for any inaccuracy of documents, information and for all kinds of losses to the Government.
    Read over and what is stated is true and correct.

    Signature of the applicant:

  42. Vinod

    Hi All,

    I was just going through some of the earlier comments and very surprised to see the middlemen making money for getting NOC (for that matter anything) from motor vehicle department. To get an NOC you may need to spend less than 100 rupees. There is no fees as such when I applied for the same in RTO banglore (east). I purchased two postal covers and with a stamp of ₹ 25 each. Visited RT office 4 times.

    1) Done good analysis of the process by visiting the deparment’s site and by googling.
    2) My first visit: Almost 1 hour spent. Submitted form 28 in triplicate ( remember to affix pencil print of chassis number which I missed first time )
    following documents to be attached
    a) Original registration certifcate
    b) Valid certificate of insurance
    c) Pollution under control certificate
    d) copy of tax paid receipt

    3) Second visit after one month: It helped me to move the file to next desk.
    4) Third visit after 2 weeks from the last visit : They told me that they did not get an noc from police deparment. So the concerned officer has given me a letter and I have visited office of the commissioner of police and got the noc and submitted it to RTO . They told me that they will send me the all the documents by registered post. By that time I had only one week left to move out of bangalore.
    5) Fourth visit after one week of last week. All my documents were ready. To get it over the counter, I had to put some money into clerk’s mouth.

    Still I am very much satisfied by the overall experience. If you have time, do it yourself.

    All the best.

  43. arnav

    hey guys, will the registration of a vehicle also be changed to that of the new state if applied for a no objection certificate?

  44. Jignesh

    Hi Viraj

    Did you get any solution to this. I had the same Problem. I moved from Gujarat (Ahmedabad) to Pune for 5-6 months. Please share your ideas to me ASAP.

    It would be your great help

  45. Nitesh

    Hi People,

    Read few comments above. I Just got my bike transported from Bangalore To Siliguri, West Bengal.
    Getting the NOC at bangalore was very easy.

    Went to RTO Jaynagar. Took two form 28. Filled it with chasis pencil marking and rest details. – (1 hour)
    Got the No criminal record document from comissioner office at Infantry Road – ( 3 hours the stupid clerk was having lunch for two hours)
    Submitted the 2 28 forms, No criminal record certificate, Emission test, Original smart card and a 30/- rupees envelope with my West Bengal address. (30 mins)

    Got the NOC after 35 days in the West Bengal address i mentioned on the envelope. :)

    As i didn’t pat any bribe I got the entire NOC done for 30/- bucks just that i had to wait 35 days.

    Now I have one concern. If anyone can help please reply.

    1.How long can I ride a bike in a West Bengal with Karnatake registration number? ( I read somewhere that the valid time is about 45days. Is it true?)
    2. What is the validity of a NOC? ( i read somewhere 3 months, some blog it said 6 months and some said 1year)

    Waiting for your help.

    Moving on I think changing the registration number is a big procedure. Will try for it. But mostly planning to pay just the WB tax(which i have to pay by default in case i am changing registration) to be able to ride freely from cops.


    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      Thanks for posting your experience. Please check with the RTO at Silguri on the validity of your NOC from Bangalore. As per MVA rule, they will cross-check your Form 28 with the Jayanagar, Bangalore RTO before granting any re-registration that you have applied for in Silguri. They might also require a local police report (from Silguri). This is usually performed as an official communication between the Silguri RTO and the concerned Police department handling such requests.

      You should be able to ride your bike in West Bengal (with KA registration) as long as you have made an application for re-registration and have paid the necessary road tax fees. Retain the receipt of your submission as it is the only proof that you have made such application at Silguri.

      Hope this helps.

  46. dinesh

    I bought a howrah , West Bengal registered car to Malda, West Bengal. Since I got this vehicle transferred to another district I have been asked to re-register the car in Malda. I have obtained the NOC from howrah. I would like to know what is the validity for this NOC and what would be cost of doing to re-register the car in my dinesh


  47. Pankaj

    Thanks, its very informative. Also its very shameful that government is not friendly to law-abiding citizen and forces them to bypass or ignore the correct procedures.

  48. Rahul

    Excellent and much needed post & comments!

    I purchased a motorbike costing around Rs 50k in Nov 2007 from Gujarat and when I had to move to Chennai in early 2009, I decided not to sell my bike that was just over 1 year old and obtained NOC from the RTO in Gujarat. With a validity of 1 year, I escaped paying the eager traffic policemen scouting the Chennai roads for opportunities for bribes/fines. When I had about 3 months left in my NOC validity, I decided to apply for new registration in Tamil Nadu. When I visited the South Chennai RTO office, I realized that agents rule the roost and I have no option but to take their help. To arrange the above mentioned documents, I had to go to the Egmore police station and other offices in far corners of the city. I was informed by the person at application counter that I would additionally need to pay an amount around 15% of vehicle purchase cost at some far off commercial tax office in Chennai to get clearance for new registration because I moved a vehicle less than 18months after purchase (‘new’ by their definition). Without any luck to identify the right office and without any fair sense to pay 10k for my own depreciated bike costing around 35k, I did not bother changing the registration.

    Thereafter I had to go on an overseas deputation in 2010 and hence I moved my bike to my home state Kerala where it is still lying mostly unused (driven on private roads) but in a working condition at my home. The original NOC from Gujarat has expired.

    I would like to change to a Kerala registration where the hassles are less for re-registration. I guess I need to start by getting a new NOC from Chennai to change it to my destination in Kerala. Any other taxes/clearances that I need to pay at Chennai?

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      Thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like your expired NOC (Form 28) from Gujarat was originally intended for Chennai. Can you check with the Gujarat RTO (where your registration is valid) and see if they can issue one (again) for Kerala (your home RTO)? Talk to someone who can interpret MVA regulations and give you a clear answer! Does the South Chennai RTO has any role to play in your case? As far as my knowledge is concerned, they have nothing to do as you have NOT re-registered the vehicle with them. In any case, check with appropriate folks.

  49. Raj1986

    My bike is registered in Gurgaon (Haryana) but i moved to Pune along with the bike for higher studies . Now i got a job in Pune and would stay here .
    How to get the NOC from Gurgaon without taking the bike back to Gurgaon as it would be very difficult ..

    I have all the documents but not pollution .
    please suggest

    1. Rubberstamp Post author


      If am right, you probably need NOT take your bike to Gurgaon (HR) for obtaining NOC. A completed Form 28 should be good with a pencil sketch of the vehicle chassis and engine ID affixed to the Form. Make sure you have two or three copies of Form 28. Check out other documents if required. Obtain a Police Clearance Certificate at Gurgaon and along with it submit the Form 28 in order to get the NOC. Specify Pune RTO as the destination RTO.

      After obtaining this, please visit the concerned RTO at Pune and apply for re-registration. The formalities might differ a bit (depending on the bureaucracy).

      Hope this helps.

  50. Niren


    I am currently having a Car Registered at Chennai with Full Life Time Tax. Now need to move to Kerala:
    1) Do I need to pay the Road Tax again at Kerala if I’m Re-registering in Kerala?
    2) If Yes, the amount will be calculated based on the Original Value of the car while buying it, or the current IDV declared in insurance(I got the car 3 years back)
    3) If I pay the new Road Tax in Kerala, will I get any refund from my Old Registered location(Chennai), If Yes, what is the procedure

    Thanks for such an informative post

    1. Rubberstamp Post author

      Excellent questions! Only if someone can answer.

      (1) As far as I know, you will end up paying road tax again in Kerala (or wherever you move) – unless otherwise there is some State specific clause to it.
      (3) Believe refund of life-time road tax is NOT possible. Clarify or even file an RTI to get it in writing. Never trust any oral communication from a Govt. Servant.

  51. Nachiket

    I obtained NOC from AP for transfereing it to another state . Now I am moving from that state to new state after 2 years . In meanwhile I didnt use my bike hence didnt register it in the other state. WHat should I do now to get NOC for the new state?

  52. kislay

    moving from hosur (tamil nadu) to dharuhera(haryana)under delhi NCR.I came across the statement above that any state’s vehicle can be driven freely in delhi NCR.Is it true or need to obtain NOC(Compulsory)and follow the regular route.pls confirm as i don’t have much time to do all the process related to obtain NOC.

    kislay kumar jha

  53. Ajay

    I have a car registered in Durgapur ( WB ) and now moved to Indore ( MP ). I need to obtain NOC. I have filled form 28, what all documents I need to furnish along with it. also how much fee required. My road tax payment was upto dec 12 and in Dec only we moved. Will I have to pay road tax in Durgapur?

  54. Prachi Gupta

    I am moving from Ambala to Hyderabad, I will be taking my car and Bike along. These vehicles are registered in Ambala( Haryana ) only. Could you please let me know, what I need to get from RTO Ambala. If i want to register vehicle in Hyderabad, then what is the procedure. My apology, if i asked something same.

  55. Arnab Mohanty

    Somebody said, that no re-registration need to be done to run the bike in Delhi (As NCR). Kindly confirm it. Thanks in advance.

  56. Bharat

    My Case:
    I am planning to move my car from my hometown-registered in Ajmer (Rajasthan) to the place I am presently working in Pune (Maharashtra). I am not sure for how long I’ll be staying in Pune but in all probability it’ll be less than a year (however definitely more than 3 months).

    1) Is NOC required in this case too?
    2) Is it correct that after taking an NOC, the vehcile reg. is automatically cancelled in the home RTO after 3 months?
    3) Do I need to pay the road tax in the new state in this case?
    4) Is it correct that vehicle re-registration is not required in the new state upto a year?
    5) And finally the million-dollar question – If I am checked for any of the 3 (NOC, New road tax, Re-registration), How does one confirms the timeline for arrival of the vehicle in the new state? And how much is the fine in each of the cases?

    1. rubberstamp Post author


      Great questions. If only someone can clarify! Try options such as temporary registration in the new State and see what documents are required. Check the Citizen’s Charter guidelines for each process.

  57. Varun

    Hi All,
    I bought Wagonr CNG from Faridabad,Haryana in Dec 2012 & took loan of Rs. 3 Lacs from SBI. Now i have moved to Pune. Pease clarify:
    1) For getting NOC from Faridabad RTO, do i need to payoff whole loan amt. (As Bank is not giving NOC, till the time i dn’t pay whole loan amt.). Also, Faridabad SBI Branch is not allowing me to transfer the loan branch from Faridabad to Pune.
    2) I can’t pay whole loan till Dec 2013,so is there any way wherein i can get NOC from SBI,Faridabad & thus NOC from Faridabad RTO?
    3) Suppose i don’t get NOC from Faridabad RTO because of above mentioned reasons, can i drive my car in Pune atleast till one year, after paying (Some Amt. or Road tax) which is very less than re-registration.
    Please help

    1. rubberstamp Post author


      Great question. I think Form 28 needs to be submitted in four copies if it the concerned vehicle is held in lien (i.e. By Financier of the vehicle – in this case your Bank). I am not sure if a Bank can refuse from signing a NOC Form. You have to check the legality with the concerned RTO. It would be a shame if they don’t offer a transparent answer. Ask the concerned people “if there is anything in written format” that says “a NOC cannot be issued without a loan being completely paid off”. The Bank and RTO are answerable to such queries. File RTI – i suppose.

      Also, check with your SBI Faridabad branch if the loan can be transferred to SBI, Pune and in that case would they issue a no-objection to the transfer of vehicle (seems a bit complicated to me).

      Your third question seems like the best route possible in terms of less hassle. Check with the RTO. There is also a concept called temporary registration. Whether that requires NOC is subject to what is mentioned in the Citizen’s charter.

  58. Ranajit

    I am doing multiple hops thus I got NOC from bangalore to Hyderabad. Now I am going to pune. Do i have to get one more NOC from Hyderabad ?

  59. Kumar

    You guys are genius. If you want to take the vehicle from state a to state b go the state b and pay the road tax for the state b and get the receipt. Tell them you may go back to state a. No NOC or stupid documents required. If traffice police or rta idiots catch you show them the road tax receipt. Now you can drive your vehicle in both the states genius. I took advice from forums and later on came to know about this. All state RTA wants is you to pay the road tax.

  60. sudharshan

    Hi Sir,

    I am currently driving my Tamil Nadu registered vehicle in Gujarat. The Bike is purchased in my name and have all documents for it. I am not going to be settled permanent here. Do I need to take a NOC for my vehicle. If yes in which state & why should I take NOC if the owner of vehicle is driving the vehicle. I believe that NOC is required only if i wish to re-register my vehicle. Please advice. If it is mandatory what the MV ACT No.

    1. rubberstamp Post author


      I think you can try temporary registration or even try to pay the road tax of Gujarat Government while using your vehicle in their State for a certain period of time (if not permanent). You might require a NOC only if you plan a re-registration in another State.

  61. shaik hamid masood

    dear friend i need a suggestion plese help me out.
    i purchased a vehicle in andhra pradesh & i got a job in karnataka so i have taken the noc to karnataka
    the RC book has been sent from andhra pradesh to karnartaka RTO office
    but i havent made the karnataka registration it was still andhra registration, so now i want back my RC book from karnataka RTO
    how should i make it possible……

  62. Haibat Ali.

    Dear sir,

    1. When I was serving in the Air Force HQ Subroto Park New Delhi, I purchased a bike (Hiro Honda Passion) in Jun 2004. At the time of my transfer from New Delhi to Air Force Station Tezpur, I could not obtain the NOC in Oct 2005. After retirement from service in Aug 2010 I am planning to settle in Guwahati. Now I am unable to re-register my bike at Guwahati without the NOC from the RTO New Delhi.

    2. At this stage I am not in a position to go to New Delhi for the NOC due to my financial back grounds. Sir, do you like to advise me with the procedure as how to get the NOC through correspondence.

    With regards.
    Haibat Ali

Comments are closed.